Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fuck, Not the 2005 Ravens Again

I've been reflecting on the last few years a lot recently, preparing for graduation, I guess. Anyway I remembered a moment from JV football that really sums up many of the things I do. It was 3rd and 7, and I got one of my rare opportunities to play. Surprisingly, the coach (now a good friend) decided to give me a shot with the ball. 3rd and 7, what the hell, why not? So we ran the play, and I got the handoff, broke through the hole, everything was going fine. Standing right in front of the hole were two linebackers. Right then, I panicked. I realize now that this was a crucial moment in my football years. Instead of breaking outside, trying to go around, making a play, going all out, taking a FUCKING CHANCE, I ran right at 'em. Got 3 goddamn yards. That was the only handoff I ever have or ever will take in a football game.
What I just realized is that this is what I've been doing my whole life. Avoiding the big mistakes, happy with a small gain even if a little chance could result in so much more.

On a note that's pretty fucking cool, I tossed a baseball with Cal Ripken, Jr. yesterday. He even gave me a compliment. One of my heroes. Damn, that felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment